We offer a replacement certificate service and a way for you to manage your digital credentials. More information on both can be found below.


If you have changed your name, lost your certificate or have had gender re-assignment you can request a replacement certificate. Depending on when you studied with the ACT, will affect what you can request. If you qualified with the ACT prior to 2016, you will only be able to request a hard copy replacement certificate. If you qualified after 2016, you will be able to request soft and hard-copy certificates.

Depending on the reason for your replacement, you will need to provide the required evidence: 

Change of name


A copy of deed poll *

Plus one of the following:

  • Passport
  • Full birth certificate
  • Driving licence
Gender reassignment



Divorce notice *

Plus one of the following:

  • Passport
  • Marriage certificate
  • A copy of deed poll
Lost certificate

(any 1 document)
  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
Insert my middle name(s)

(any 1 document)

* is mandatory 

Per replacement certificate (Unit electronic certificate - post 2016) GBP 25
Per replacement certificate (Course hard copy certificate) GBP 70

Fees are subject to local rate of VAT where applicable.


When completing your application, you will need to upload your evidence.

Where your request is to change your details, we will require your original certificate to be returned to us.

We will dispatch your replacement certificate within two weeks from receipt of request, approved evidence and successful payment.

Apply for certificate


Upon completion of your qualification, you will be issued with your digital credential. This credential is based on the information the ACT hold within our main database. If you need to change any of the details we hold for your credential, more details can be found below.

Name change

You can manage all of your personal data yourself within our system, by logging in to the website and updating your details yourself on https://www.treasurers.org/user/. However currently we do not have an API to our credential issuer, so we will therefore need to make the change ourselves for any data you have changed for your credential.  

If you need to change your name on your digital credential, please follow these instructions. You will need to log into your Accredible account and request a name change. Depending on the significance of your name change, you may be required to send us supporting evidence such as a marriage certificate, deed poll etc. This can be sent to assessment@treasurers.org.

Email change

Your credential is linked to your personal email address, if we have one, as this will allow you to take your credential with you no matter where you go career-wise. It also allows all the credentials you achieve to sit in one place, so they are easily accessible. If you need to change your email address, there is a small administrative fee applicable. 

Per email change                                                                GBP 10

Fees are subject to local rate of VAT where applicable.